- 500g mince (beef, ostrich or other)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 450ml beef stock
- Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 950g sweet potatoes, cubed
- Olive oil or butter (for mashing)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Brown the mince in a large, hot pan. Break up with a spoon, then add the carrots, garlic, and leeks. Let them sauce a little for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir and cook for a further 20 minutes, uncovered.
- In a pot, steam the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender. Mash with a little oil or butter.
- Spoon the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish and spread the mashed sweet potato evenly over the top. Ruffle the top with a fork, then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top starts to colour and the mince is starting to bubble at the edges. You can place it under the grill to get a golden brown colour if desired.
*Sweet potatoes are less likely to upset blood sugar levels